Work with Us
We are hiring one employee for the 2024 season. If you are passionate about livestock and looking to build your future in agriculture, read on.
- 20 hours/week – Rock’s End Farm
- If desired, you will be able to fill your remaining 20 hours/week at one of several neighbouring farms
- $17-20 per hour depending on experience
- Duration: May 6 – October 31, 2024
- Location: Rock’s End Farm, Farrellton, Quebec
- On-Farm Accommodation available
About the Position
As the Regenerative Grazing Assistant, you will spend the majority of your time with the sheep. Your core responsibility will be implementing the grazing rotation for our flock of 90 Icelandic ewes and their lambs. To do this you will learn how to assess the livestock and the pastures in the context of our regenerative farming system. You will learn to “read” what the forage conditions mean about the soil below, how to assess the behaviour and health of the animals, how to plan in advance for season and weather variability, how to adapt to fluctuating production goals (for example, how to manage differently in peak lactation, maintenance, and fattening phases of the livestock), how to plan for future rotations, and how to manage the grass and the animals in order to achieve optimal health and productivity of both. We use electric fencing and have pasture water pipeline set up in the majority of our fields. The terrain on this farm is rough; you’ll use our trusty Mule (side-by-side ATV) to haul materials that you need from paddock to paddock, but you will also spend a good deal of time hiking steep or rocky areas to bring the animals to graze.
You will also help with other farm tasks, including but not limited to assisting with:
- Assisting with additional farm enterprises of cattle, pastured pork, pastured poultry, and horses
- Animal care procedures including spring calving and lambing
- Hay harvest
- Ecological enhancement & restoration projects on the farm
- Installation and maintenance of fencelines
- Installation and maintenance of livestock water system
- Cleaning out winter shelters
- Loading/sorting animals for transport during butcher season
- General farm maintenance and cleanup
- Packing orders and managing inventory
- Customer service at farmers’ markets, farm-gate sales, and on-farm events
- Other tasks suited to you dependent upon your learning goals and previous skills and experience
This is a 20 hours per week position. In addition, if desired, there are several neighbouring farms that are interested in filling the other 20+hours per week available. Please indicate in your cover letter if this is of interest so that we can facilitate those connections. We will work together with them to make sure the overall employment package works for you.
We are looking for somebody who:
- Is a self-motivated, independent worker with a high level of personal integrity and a desire and the motivation to work hard and develop their skills in regenerative agriculture.
- Has previous farming experience or directly relevant outdoor work experience
- Possesses a high level of personal integrity, responsibility for self, and a strong work ethic.
- Is capable of working independently for long periods of time.
- Has transportation to/from the farm.
- Works safely and efficiently with minimal supervision.
- Is prepared to work outside, on rugged terrain, in all weather conditions.
- Has the ability to carry up to 60lbs.
- Has great organizational and spatial visualization skills.
- Works well in teams.
How we Work
We value your insights and contributions as a key member of the farm team. We start each morning with a meeting to make plans for the day. Once you’ve learned how to do your job, you’ll be largely managing your own system– you will need to plan your own work and tasks in the way that makes most sense for you, for the grass, and for the animals and for the farm team as a whole.
This means you need to have a very strong work ethic, high degree of personal integrity, self-motivation, focus, and the ability to work independently. While your grazing work will be largely independent, you will also work together with the farm owners and part-time employees or volunteers on other farm projects.
About Rock’s End Farm
Rock's End Farm is a 300 acre, certified organic farm located in the heart of the Gatineau Hills in west Quebec. We raise Icelandic sheep for wool and meat, beef cattle, pastured pork, pastured poultry, and horses. We use regenerative and organic practices to ensure that our farm enhances water quality, biodiversity, and soil health. We use multi-paddock adaptive grazing management and incorporate silvopasture into our grazing system. We are active in on-farm environmental initiatives. We provide our products to the public via farmgate sales, home-delivery, and sales at the farmers’ market and craft fairs. We also host a number of on-farm events, tours, and workshops. This job is a great opportunity for somebody looking to deepen their knowledge of livestock management, grazing management, farm infrastructure development, and/or direct-to consumer marketing channels.
Our farm is a lively environment rich in learning opportunities and collaborative endeavours. Through partnerships, we work together with other local farmers to create a more resilient local agricultural economy. You will have the chance to participate in monthly regional grazing tours and farmer-to-farmer learning opportunities on other area farms as well as to make use of our extensive library of resources on regenerative farming.
While the position is seasonal, there are many other local employment opportunities in the off-season, depending on your skills and interests. Year-round on-farm accommodation is available for rent for the right person(s).
Rock’s End Farm practices employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. We embrace diversity in all its forms and commit to maintaining a work environment that is welcoming for all.
This job has is conditional on funding from Agriculture Canada’s Youth Employment and Skills Program and as such, candidates should indicate if they are:
- Between 15 and 30 years of age
(inclusive) at the start of employment; and
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent
resident, or refugee.
Send your resume and cover letter by email, outlining why you would like to work for us and how you meet the qualifications to: